Photographer - Peter Currie

Now it's time.
The birth.
The born.
The awakening.

The first blog post to As One Curation.

And as a treat, I am showcasing photographer Peter Currie, a resident of O' Canada and a current Concordia University student.


 I had the pleasure of interviewing him about his latest series of images ON/OFF. I found Peter's wonderful website while browsing varies photography outlets such as Flickr, Tumblr, etc. I am so happy and humbled to have him on the curation.





(on/off architectural study; Peter Currie)

Your ON/OFF Series, please give our readers an explanation to this wonderful body of images? 

My On/Off series came about last fall when I was shooting an architecture assignment for my first year color class at Concordia. After I shot the original four images that played with combing light, I was chatting my professor, Clara Gutsche, and we both felt it was something I could continue into the winter semester. Once I had a concrete idea around what I was trying to find, and photograph I set out to make the images possible. I find working within a timeframe of four months helped me progress the photos, and also the short spam of time was motivating to pull everything together quickly. With this rapid pace, I was able to edit the images down to a final series of 15 photos, hand printed, on 16x20 paper. I wanted to print big, because I felt that 8x10, or 11x14 couldn’t do justice to the subject matter. The scenes themselves are big, and have lots of detail, so I wanted the viewer to feel that in the final product.


(on/off architectural study; Peter Currie)

Your work explores a lot with space and angles, what do you think this attributes too?

I think that the way On/Off came together like a lot of photography was that it was right place, right time, and right idea. The third photograph in the series was the first image I shot and recognized something distinct, and just ran with it. As the body of work matured over the next few months, that’s when I really started to consider the space, and angles that became so significant in the final images. The reason I wanted to focus on this type of architectural photography was because it was a totally new experience. I’ve never shot anything like this before and now feel like my work could progress in that direction. When shooting I’ve always been really conscious of composition and after making the images from On/Off, I want those trends to fall into future work. 


What are your preferred mediums? Would you ever want to dabble your work into say the mixed media side of art?


For now I’m hooked on medium format. I’ve always been stuck on the 6x7 format with the odd roll of 6x6 a few years back. Typically for what I like to shoot, I find it doesn’t look as strong in square format. In the future I would love to begin pushing myself into 4x5 color, and black and white – if my wallet can handle it. As for dabbling in mixed media, I don’t think I’m in a place just yet to be pushing myself away from photography. I want to shoot a few more portfolios that are consistent, and that I’m proud of, then move from there. 


(on/off architectural study; Peter Currie)



(on/off architectural study; Peter Currie) 


What are your future goals with your imagery? Any exciting news you'd like to share?

Right now I’m just shooting, and having fun with it. But this fall I’m going to be starting some new projects for my second year. I want to continue shooting architecture and push that along, but I really would love to work on some portrait work as well. Come September I’ll have some ideas mapped out, then start to put them into action. 


(on/off architectural study; Peter Currie) 


Peter Currie

by - Anthony R

No comments:

Post a Comment